Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Letter From Aubrey

Wednesday 1 April 2009


Dear Friends,

Some of you already know this, so forgive the repetition, but here is his condition. Daniel was in a terrible motorcycle accident that has changed our lives, for the moment. Everything is in the "wait and see" status. His liver has the most damage and continues to bleed, but less and less. One of his kidneys has a couple of lacerations but will probably heal without surgery. His spleen may have to come out. One of his lungs is severely bruised and both lungs have collected fluid and leaked air into the chest cavity. He has a lot of blood in his stomach, which with the bruised lung has placed undue pressure on his diaphragm which necessitated a respirator. His blood pressure has been too low to operate or give him adequate pain meds or sedation. He has 2 broken ribs and several breaks in his pelvis...but, no brain damage. He is strapped to his bed, has a neck brace, even though they don't think he has any spinal damage. He suffered additional injury to his neck, but nothing he cannot recover from. They are considering placing an umbrella type filter below his heart to stop any clots from entering the heart. Even though the trauma doctors didn't want to release him for an operation, they had to allow a lung drainage tube to be placed, so the orthopedic doctors went in and wired his elbow together and cleaned all of his broken bones to risk likely infection. They will put things back together in a couple of days. He is a trooper and has not complained at all, and has been completely cooperative, patient, and calm...even, when they are cleaning out his respirator tubes and suctioning his throat. Even though his eyes are closed, he constantly communicates by writing in my hand. He spells everything out and I repeat the letters to him to make certain I understand. He wants me to tell him stories and read to him, so I do...all night long. He wanted to know all of the details of his accident and all of the damage and prognosis, since he has almost completed his EMT certification. He writes to the nurses and tells them, "It's cool to hear the consulting between the doctors and nurses, and that the girl nurses are smarter than the boy nurses"...they loved that! I recalled to him how the police re-created and determined the details of the accident and he told me that their assessment was close in accuracy and he would give me the full details when he could speak. Even though they have given him some type of amnesia drug, he continues to remember every detail of every conversation, etc. He is in a lot of pain and simply needs your prayers and faith. I feel completely calm and reassured that all will be well, eventually.

All of our phones have rung constantly and we either haven't been able to return calls or aren't quite ready to talk about everything. We are still processing all of this and then there are the emotional moments, and constant doctor visits that require all of our attention and energy. We feel your love and support immensely and become emotional as we listen to your kind messages. There really isn't anything that anyone can do right now, but we know well that we could call on any of you at any time to help us.

Please forward this information to anyone you feel might want to know.

We dearly love and appreciate each of you.

Aubrey and Mendy

4 comments:

  1. Justnow learned how to blog, my grandson denver had to show an old coot how to receive . I know I can't do anything but pray for Daniel but rest assured I'm doing that constantly. If you need anything let me know. Please tell Daniel we are praying for him and wishing him the best, stay strong and keep the faith because you have the best Dr. in the universe---GOD--the great Docter.--Uncle Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. i love you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not so much to the family as it is to Daniel.
    I am so very thankful, and thank the Lord everyday that, though your injuries are much more severe and life threatening than my own, you didn't have any brain damage. I didn't want to believe it when I first heard of your wreck. I spent quite a few hours in denial of it, thinking it would go away and didn't really happen. I am greatful to hear of your determination and want you to be assured that this attribute will serve you well on your road to recovery. Stay strong and maintain this determination. The excellent physical and spiritual shape you were in, has played a huge role in all the positive things I am hearing. Know that there are many who love you and wish they were there to show it in person. I am amazed how much the Lord has blessed this family. I know you may not notice any now, but one day you will look back and realize, as I have, that the Lord allowed this to happen for a reason. In my case it took a long while for me to figure out why, I guess I was too prideful to notice them so it litterally had to be knocked into me. Know that the Lord is looking out for you and will not leave you alone. Have your Dad read Elder Holland's last talk to you and see that, like the Savior, the Lord is always there, especially when you need him the most. I hope you find strength in these words as I have.
    Your Loving Cousin,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrey and Daniel,
    Having been a motorcycle rider since I was 12 (60 years) I can only guess how much this must have hurt Daniel. I raced for years on dirt tracks(owned a M/C shop) and crashed many times on the road race tracks at high speeds (as high as 164 MPH clocked on radar at Charlotte, NC in 1975 and possibly higher as I had just started road racing then) but I was prepared for the crashes and there were no cars around to hit. I am very happy that you survived this crash Daniel. I saw a man killed right in front of me on the NASCAR track at Daytona Beach, FL and crashed myself shortly after he did. While in the E/R in the hospital there later I watched them cover his face up so I finally came to my senses and quit racing. It was stupid of me to do so with a wife and children depending on me even though I felt it was earning money for my family at the time. I still have a "rare" factory Turbo charged motorcycle that is 26 years old (16.4 inches of boost Daniel - even at Mt. Evans in Colorado - highest paved road in the world I believe). I still ride; but I am much more careful these days. I tell folks today that with all my racing experience both dirt racing and road racing the most dangerous thing I have ever done with a motorcycle was to leave my own driveway.

    Your grandfather and I went to the same church and schools and were friends all during our youth and converted to the church at about the same time. He emailed me the other day about your crash and after I read it yesterday I placed your name on the Atlanta Temple prayer roll, we have been praying for you and your family since.

    My nephew has been in the I/C unit at Fort Sanders hospital in Knoxville since the 13th with Siptic Shock, the doctors gave him a 30% chance of living. Elder Hartely and I gave him a blessing and he is recovering slowly. Elder Hartley is a missionary in Knoxville, TN. I live in Cumming, GA just about 35 miles north of the Temple.

    Please say hello to Norma and Bill for us. We love the Conners; going all the way back to Grady and Minnie and Billy Joe as a small boy.
    John Marrs

    ReplyDelete